Sun/Oracle Java

Hi,

Setting up a new machine, noticed that Sun/Oracle Java is no longer available to Debian.

Saw a post here with an explanation:

http://sylvestre.ledru.info/blog/2011/08/26/sun_java6_packages_removed_from_debian_u

Unfortunately, there are limitations and issues with OpenJDK, and incompatibilities with various software.

I'm not sure how it has worked in the past, but presumably someone manually built the installation package for Debian. Would it be possible to do this for oneself? I assume there is no source available to compile. Is it feasible to convert an rpm release for use with Debian? I've tried this sort of thing before, but with mixed results.

Sorry if this has been covered already - I couldn't see mention of it in my email search.

Cheers,

Oliver