Re: My fellow (Debian) Linux users ...

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, 2014-04-13 at 09:33 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:
> In what sense do you mean hacked?
> Cracked, as in passwords and other sensitive information

Exactly in this way.

But how serious is the current exposure?

I was trying to separate the question of potential exposure from actual exposure.

If the really elite black hats have exploits and are tapping into every vulnerable server, we would have serious problems, but not because of the vulnerabilities.

Elite black hats stay focused for a variety of reasons, and very few on this list are in their focus. (Developers, yes, some, but ordinary users, maybe one or two in ten thousand.) If they have a reason to quit staying focused, it would indicate very serious problems in general social milieu -- I mean, problems of the sort that the people of The Ukraine have, but in every country.

The USNSA, well, there is nothing we can do about them for now.

If you have reason to believe you are in the focus of someone who can take advantage of the heartbeat/bleed, fixing openssl and the potentially exposed tokens/credentials won't help you much.

If you aren't, do we have any real news of this vulnerability being used in the kits that script kiddies use? I mean, that the general unskilled black-hat-wannabees use?

> The openssl issues have been baking for how many years?

Too long for Linux community members to be surprised by the news of
today ;). While there are no news on television and radio in Germany not
mentioning apocalyptic openssl issues, I haven't seen one serious post
about it on any open source mailing list.

I don't think that it is that the problem is being ignored.

JFTR