Re: Heartbleed (was ... Re: My fellow (Debian) Linux users ...)

On Mon 14 Apr 2014 at 21:15:23 +1200, Richard Hector wrote:

> On 14/04/14 18:55, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> >
> > This is several orders of magnitude less severe than Y2K.
>
> Y2K was extensively predicted, a lot of people did a lot of work to
> avoid it, and in the end it wasn't very significant, no? I don't mean it
> wasn't a significant amount of work to fix the bugs, I just mean the
> final effect wasn't significant. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The increase in the bank balances of many consultants is well-documented
as part of the history of the Y2K period. What is is still under discussion
is whether the failure of a set of traffic lights in Alice Springs was its
only major effect.