Re: debian install wireless fails on laptop with Ralink RT3290 wireless, what to do?

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 21:26:09 -0700
Britton Kerin <britton.kerin@gmail.com> wrote:

> The installer correctly detects a Ralink RT3290 and seems to think its
> going to be
> able to work with it, but then it always fails (I think at the DHCP
> stage) to actually
> manage to connect to the network.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this issue?  Workarounds?
>
> As usually everyone assumes it would work on Ubuntu and as usual I'd rather not
> go there.
>
> What I'm hoping to do is install a gnome system from CD image, then follow these
> instructions:
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/rt3290
>
> Is this probably workable?  Is it the best way?  If there was some way to get
> wireless working at the point in the installation where the installer
> tries to set
> it up that seem like it would be best, but maybe it isn't required firmware-ralinkthen if you
> have one of the big (non-netinst) CDs?

Apparently, firmware-ralink is non-free and is required, so looks like
you can't get your card working from installation. You must download
the package from another machine or temporarily use another network
card.

> Thanks,
> Britton

Regards