Re: Switching OS

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:34:17 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 08:30:13PM -0700, Stephen Barr wrote:
> > I have been using Ubuntu for several years now but all of a sudden
> > it has begun locking up, sometimes several times a day. Very
> > annoying, especially when it fouls up file names. I have a lot of
> > work to do on my website and this is driving me crazy. Can I
> > download Debian, delete Ubuntu and have Debian accept the Ubuntu
> > files? Sounds simple (I hope). Thank you, Stephen
>
> Best to ensure you have an up-to-date backup, install Debian as a
> clean installation, and then restore your files.

+1

AND, I highly recommend Debian Stable, as it's least likely to give the
kind of problems you had with Ubuntu.

I'm a big fan of lightweight desktop environments like Xfce, LXDE, and
OpenBox, as those are more repeatable and less surprising than the more
mainstream desktops. If you want stability above all, eliminate Xfce
from that list, because it's sometimes buggy and a little surprising,
although that opinion is based on Xfce + Ubuntu: I've never seen Xfce +
Debian Stable be anything less than perfectly behaved.

If you use LXDE, be aware that all things being equal, mouse travel is
much less sensitive in LXDE, so you need to move your hand several
inches to go from screen top to screen bottom. I've minimized this
behavior by: 1) Use a Logitech M310 mouse: They're very sensitive, 2)
Use a very clean surface or mousepad, and 3) If still necessary, xset
acceleration to 3 and threshold to a tiny amount. Be aware that
acceleration is a poor substitute for sensitivity: Extreme acceleration
turns mousing into a golf game with a drive, a tee shot, and a put: Not
conducive to productivity.

Thanks,

SteveT