Re: Switching OS

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 20:30:13 -0700
Stephen Barr <wileye@sonic.net> wrote:

> when it fouls up file names

This sounds like file system corruption resulting from a kernel panic.
I would go as far to presume that occasionally it takes forever to
reboot on such a lockup because it caught a forced fsck of the affected
filesystem.

What I would do is turn to the logs for clues looking for anything like
error, hardware, hunk task, soft lockup, etc etc they usually jump
right out at you. You could try installing something like mcelog or
even take the machine out of action for lots of hours and run a memory
test against your current ram.

I would also probably run a manual fsck of the filesystem and dump the
results into a file to sift through.

That's all just scratching the surface through. Back to moving to
Debian, just make sure you have a copy of your data and pick the most
fun way someone here suggests and try it. You'll either screw up and
learn something or succeed and learn something.

--
Lay on, MacDuff, and curs'd be him who first cries, "Hold, enough!".
		-- Shakespeare