Re: How to Switch Between Gnome and KDE

On Sun, Apr 06, 2014 at 09:12:05AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Apr 2014 20:22:55 -0400
> Stephen Allen <marathon.durandal@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I see this mentioned a lot that Gnome-Shell won't run on hardware more
> > than a "few" years old. This is patently false. I've run it on a
> > laptop more than 7 years old with  no issue what-so-ever. Gnome-Shell
> > just disables stuff if it isn't supported hardware wise - some of the
> > more interesting video effects that is.
> >
> > The issue isn't so much the hardware but the amount of ram one has on
> > the applicable hardware. Even 7 year old hardware often has 1Gb of ram
> > or even more.
> >

> OK, I did investigate it somewhat, and I'm being simplistic here. But
> this investigation was begun when I upgraded to Gnome3 and on login I
> was presented with a new, empty Gnome 'legacy' desktop after being told
> somewhat curtly that my video hardware wasn't good enough for the
> wonderful new desktop experience, and that the Gnome developers weren't
> interested in 'legacy' hardware. My previous Gnome desktop
> configurations had disappeared.
>
> I call that 'not running well'.

I would too.

> Yes, I recovered it all, and even got Gnome3 working, but after a few
> days I decided I didn't like all the extra keystrokes and steps to do
> my usual jobs, and the distinct loss of speed, so I switched to LXDE.
> And it is indeed the shell, and not Gnome itself which was the issue,
> but that took a few days to get explained properly. I have no idea if
> the 'legacy' shell is still being maintained, because at the time it
> was made clear that it was only a temporary measure, presumably while
> we all bought new video cards. I am still using some of Gnome3 itself
> now, just not the desktop shell.

To be blunt - a couple of days doesn't give it a fair shot. I too didn't
like it at first but stuck with it for a month, I came to like it a lot
and appreciate all the thought given to it by the Gnome Developers. It's
also bloody fast.

Never saw a warning on login ever and I was running it on a 9 year old
IBM laptop with 1 Gb of ram. It if can run on a laptop well surely it
will run on any legacy desktop of the same era. Personally I don't think
most give it a fair shot - just because of the change. But then some
people didn't like it when a mouse was introduced to computing ....