Re: How to Switch Between Gnome and KDE

On Sat, Apr 05, 2014 at 02:12:15PM -0700, ray wrote:

> > Which desktop manager are you using?  Once we know, one of us will be
> > able to tell you how to switch.
> > I'm sure that you don't need to edit anything.

> I appologize as I am new to Linux I may need some help in the
> terminology.  Please  help me understand 'which desktop manager'.
> When I said I have been running Gnome on Debian 7.4, I thought Gnome
> was the desktop manager.  Is there something else that is a desktop
> manager?

I may be wrong, but I think that Lisi meant to ask what *display
manager* you are using. There are several of these available in Debian,
but given that you are new to Linux and using Gnome (probably a default
install) I would expect the display manager you are using is gdm3.

Some other display managers that are available are xdm, kdm, lightdm for
example.

Cheers,
Tom

--
An authority is a person who can tell you more about something than you
really care to know.