Re: How to Switch Between Gnome and KDE

> ray <ray@aarden.us> wrote:

> Gnome is referred to as a desktop environment, as it is much more than
> just a manager of windows, menus etc. KDE is the other heavyweight DE,
> there are two medium-weight DEs, LXDE and Xfce4. There is also at least
> one fork of an older version of Gnome, as the current Gnome is a bit
> heavy on resources and won't run well on hardware more than a few years
> old.

I see this mentioned a lot that Gnome-Shell won't run on hardware more
than a "few" years old. This is patently false. I've run it on a laptop
more than 7 years old with  no issue what-so-ever. Gnome-Shell just
disables stuff if it isn't supported hardware wise - some of the more
interesting video effects that is.

The issue isn't so much the hardware but the amount of ram one has on
the applicable hardware. Even 7 year old hardware often has 1Gb of ram
or even more.