Re: Net install cd, Not a Bug Report!!

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014 00:24:20 -0700 (PDT)
Miles Wade <mileswade@ymail.com> wrote:

> Guys!
>
> I want to thank ya'll for how well the net installation CD image
> works. I have spent many days attempting to install various
> distributions from CDs and DVDs ubuntu, fedora, suse mint etc. None
> of them could get past the partition editor stage of the install
> process. I have no clues why none of them worked. My understanding of
> Linux is at best intermediate.
>
> In an attempt to make a "final" try. I downloaded a Debian 7.4 Net
> Install CD image to do a net install.  Success! I've used the same
> disk on 4 different computers and it's worked every time.  Whatever
> partitioning tool is on that disk far surpasses what's on the other
> distros. Something on those other distros is seriously broken so
> please don't change your partition editor.
>
> What started this spasm of Linux activity is the April 8th, XP
> Apocalypse/Shutdown of support. I refuse to deal with Windows 8.X.
> My major reason for all the effort was to replace my old installs of
> XP Pro. I need to get a clear understanding of at least one flavor of
> Linux OS. It looks like Debian will be it.
>
> Again, thank you for such a bug-free install!

Hi Miles,

I can't say for sure why all the other distro installations crapped out
on your system, but I have some ideas why the Debian net install
generally succeeds when others fail:

* The net install has a CLI/curses installer that requires no X. Right
  away, you've saved huge memory and lots of other complications that
  could kill an installation for want of a silly driver.

* With the net install, you can do a tiny install, reboot, and install
  other software with apt-get install. So your likelihood of a
  functional install is greatly enhanced.

* A small Debian net install takes hardly any time at all. This means
  that if some intermittent, whether on your computer, your network, or
  your Internet connection, won't scuttle your install.

* Unlike Gentoo and the like, the Debian net install (and all Debian
  installs of which I'm aware) guarantees you a working kernel to boot
  to.

There are a lot of marginal computers out there that could run Linux,
if only they could *install* Linux. The Debian net install is perfect
for such computers. About a year ago I did a Debian net install on a
computer with a 500Mhz processor and 128K of RAM. Don't try that with
Ubuntu.

SteveT