Re: Users Not Receiving List Mail

On Thu 03 Apr 2014 at 11:12:57 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> >[snip]
> >
> >Basically - you get the mail we decide you get. Don't complain, it is
> >good for you. So much for freedom of communication.
> >

> I disagree. Personally part of what I pay my ISP for is competent
> quality filtering. They do a very good job - I see very little junk
> mail and have no evidence of having missed a legitimate email due to
> filtering. It probably helps that the majority of of the ISP's
> clients appear to be corporate clients of the ISP's parent.

If your ISP offered an opt-out/opt-in option on filtering (does it?)
then I would get all my mail and could decide for myself what to keep
or reject using my own excellent filtering system. If there were no
such option we would both be getting what someone else has decided to
give us, irrespective of whether the decisions were sane or not. I am
certain very few would accept placing such power over communication in
the hands of the US Postal Service.

Whatever subjective meaning is attached to "legitimate", evidence of
deleted mail could only come from having a list of such mail - so you
would likely never know. Suppose I told you I had sent you a mail on
preseeding a day or so ago. Now you have to imagine you had never read
the last sentence.