Re: Users Not Receiving List Mail

Can't resist the opportunity to editorialize and say things that are easy to take out of context, but, ...

On Thu, Apr 3, 2014 at 4:00 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
On Wed 02 Apr 2014 at 10:47:20 -0500, Mr Queue wrote:

> Unfortunately this mailing list has been listed with senderscore and

How does one determine that?

> it would appear the affected users IPS's are utilizing this service.

How does one determine that?

As Mr. Queue (Cool user name!) points out, headers, for all that they can be forged pretty easily, contain useful information.

> The listmaster has requested to be delisted but it may take some time
> for them to process the request.
>
> https://www.senderscore.org/

Electronic mail is rapidly becoming a toy communication system.

What? Didn't you know? It was a toy communication system from the start.

((:-/)

Uhm, okay. it wasn't really a toy system. But it wasn't really meant for general use when Bill Gates and Microsoft decided to co-opt it (speaking in polite terms).

How many
people would tolerate their usual postal services (Royal Mail in my
case) making any decision whatsoever about what they could send or
receive?

The above was not to disparage Postel or the rest of the extant IETF, but the current internet, in all its glory, was designed to be used by people who understood their tools, who understood the social and economic impact of the uses that could be made of them, and had enough self-interest to refrain from certain kinds of abuses.

It was not originally designed to be used by people who aren't interested in how it works or don't care what damage they cause.

Bill Gates and the extent Microsoft decided they had to break the (somewhat implicit) rules to avoid being slaughtered on the edge of real technology (as they interpreted losing their effective monopoly), so they jumped on the internet before it was ready for general use.

By "general use", I mean, by people who don't understand, who don't want to understand, are too busy or too scared of technology to understand, and/or don't care.

Having said that, I am sanguine to the principle that there are reasons for apathy that are not apathetic.

The question is partly rhetorical but if anyone can formulate a response
which does not express a fear of spam there are bonus points to be
gained. :)

I personally still use the calibrated eyeball to filter the unsolicited mail out of one of my primary mail accounts -- about a thousand messages a week, takes me about fifteen minutes, twice a week because I've learned how to use the sorting options and recognize certain patterns in the usually visible headers.

It did take me a couple of hours several times a week when I first started to get that volume.

Anyway, the internet of the 1990s should be viewed as infrastructure technology. We are busy trying to extend that technology instead of layering proper services on top of it for the non-'l33t, because none of the current crop of service providers understand the real meaning of service. (And partly because many of the 'l33t don't really understand the implications of what they are doing, or, in some cases, don't care what happens to anyone else, or what happens to themselves tomorrow. Today's glory seems to be enough.)

So, yeah, what I'm saying is that if you want a real, general-purpose electronic mail system, you're going to have to help invent it. In the meantime, we have to live with a lot of clunkiness.

Is that what you wanted to hear?

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.