Re: Unable to start nm-applet

Le 02.04.2014 19:55, Anubhav Yadav a écrit :
Oh, apparently you use sudo to start nm-applet.

You really shouldn't do that. All the D-Bus and GConf related error
messages etc are because you are trying to start it as root from within
a user session.

I'd probably try with another desktop environment. Maybe it's actually an issue with i3 or more specifically i3bar not showing the notification
icon of nm-applet.

And yes xfce, and nm-applet is already there in the xfce4 panel. And
then If I run nm-applet again in a terminal in xfce session, it adds another nm-applet there on the xfce panel. So I guess yes, something is wrong with
i3

Not really.
You are comparing two different things.
XFCE is a desktop environment, built for people who want lightweight but very easy to use systems.

i3 is a window manager ( the equivalent of xfwm IIRC ), designed for people which are not simple users, but programmers, system administrators, and other sorts of computing geeks.

i3 will only manage windows, for you. It handles various applets perfectly, but not the one you are trying to use. The one you are trying to use, depends of stuff like dbus, policykit, etc, which are not easy to configure.
A failure in i3 is possible, of course, but... let's try this:

install xfce
run xfce
kill xfwm and start i3 instead ( in the same command, or you might be annoyed because not having any wm will make things a lot harder to control your system. ).

then, start the applet. Like this, you'll know if the problem is i3, or a wrong configuration. ( I think there is a specific command to replace a wm with another one, but I can't remember which one )