Re: [i3]Not able to get the reboot/suspend script work.

On Wed 02 Apr 2014 at 22:59:18 +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> As far as I know there is no canonical way, method, etc. Personally I'm
> using ~/.xsessionrc to source ~/.profile because:
>
>  * the DM is not doing it
>  * I don't want to duplicate what ~/.profile already does

The interesting aspect is that ~/.xsessionrc is sourced by Xsession
before 50x11-common_determine-startup is sourced. I'd interpret that as
having the environment set up before X starts.

Now /etc/X11/Xsession.d/40x11-common_xsessionrc has

 #Source user defined xsessionrc (locales and other environment variables)

for the intended file usage but it does not specify how the environment
variables are obtained. Looked at it in that light

  if [ -f "$HOME/.profile" ]; then
      . "$HOME/.profile"
  fi

would be ok. I'm happy that seems to reconcile our apparently different
conceptions of what ~/.xsessionrc is used for.

With a default ~/.profile there should be no problems with this but
users are entitled to alter the file. This would be the bit I'd still be
unhappy with. However, this method, although I cannot see myself using
it, does compensate for what the DM is not doing.

If we kept in mind that X is just another program which can be run I
think I would rather rely on telling it directly what to do than rely on
whatever vagaries may lurk in another file.