Re: [i3]Not able to get the reboot/suspend script work.

On Tue 01 Apr 2014 at 01:45:59 +0530, Anubhav Yadav wrote:

> > Lightdm also uses /etc/X11/Xsession, which does a lot more than starting
> > a window manager. However, it does source ~/.xsession.
>
> I created an .xsession and the contents were as follows:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> # Set PATH
> PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

The basic problem is that lightdm in Debian hard-codes the path

  https://launchpadlibrarian.net/94971962/01_set-default-path.patch

and there appears to be no system-wide way to alter it from within
lightdm. It doesn't matter what WM is used - a *user* has little choice
but to alter $PATH by employing the facilities provided by X.

If line above is the only line in your .xsession you would be very lucky
to get any WM up and running.

A working .xsession (after reverting all you have done in /etc/lightdm
and elsewhere) is executable and would contain

  export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH
  xterm &
  exec /usr/bin/i3

Personally I would follow the suggestion given in

to use .xsessionrc to hold 'export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH' because it is
an environment variable. Please see Xsession(5)

> Yet I am not able to call my i3exit script ( which I have stored in
> ~/bin directory)
> from i3. Because somehow the PATH variable is not set according to either i3
> or according to lightdm. I also have other problems with lightdm, which I would
> like to discuss but lets stay on the topic for now.

There is another approach: If it was decided by the *administrator* that
*all* users were to have access to suspending, shutting down etc the
machine then the script could reside in /usr/local/bin.