Re: Locatedb not Updating

On Tuesday, 01 April, 2014 09:08:47 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > > In the same mail an observation was made. It implied that the file
> > > cron-spamassassin-rules was put in /etc/cron.daily by you and not by a
> > > Debian package. Do you have a response to that too?
> >

> > Here is the contents
> > #!/bin/sh -e
> > #
> >
> >         spamd -4
> >         # do spamassassin rules update
> >         echo "Updating Spamassassin rules..."
> >         sa-update&
> >         sleep 30
> >         #echo "Restarting Spamassassin daemon..."
> >         /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
> >         echo "Done."
> >         #echo "Restarting Fetchmail daemon..."
> >         /etc/init.d/fetchmail restart
> >         echo "Done."
>
> We'll now assume this file is not from a Debian package and that anacron
> comes to a halt when running it because it is defective. Repairing it
> may be the subject of another thread.
>
> Meanwhile: Please follow the detailed instructions you have been given.
> Moving cron-spamassassin-rules out of cron.daily should allow anacron to
> process all the other files in the directory.
>
> Once you have solved the problem posed in the subject of this thread you
> can go on to dealing with the wayward file.

Have removed it. The whole spamassassin thing seems broken right now.
How do I tell if locate script actually had run on today's startup?

>Forgive me if I'm off base here, but what if the sa-update background
>job takes longer than 30(s ?)

>hy not just run 'sa-update' in the foreground ditch the 'sleep 30', you
>might even save a bit of time in the long run (your way it'll sleep 30
>regardless how long 'sa-update' takes.

This was originally in rc.local, foreground as you suggested. It did hang,
hanging following rc.local items. Why is was taken out of there and placed as
a cron.daily job. Since there is a problem with spamassassin right now, just
skipping this is best until that is resolved.