Re: Wodim: Was: My experiences with three CD players on Gnome

On 3/16/14, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com <littdom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:35:36 +1100
> Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:
>
>> > Conclusion:  Gnome Player wins.
>>
>> Correction: The command line wins :)
>>
>> cdcd wodim (contains readom)  bashburn
>> cdargs cdrskin cdtool FTW!!!!
>
> Hi Zenaan,
>
> Are you doing -pad and padsize=63s? Back in the day, Linux had a flaw,
> called the Linux read-ahead buffer bug, that caused errors on
> raw-reading a CD if you didn't use both those arguments.

You haven't specified which program. Do all the above programs take
that option? Evidently I haven't used them. I use wodim and readom the
last few years and never had a problem, never had to learn about that
argument. I used to use some other program - maybe cdrecord, but only
for recording data discs. I don't remember the option.

> I wrote about it here:
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/coasterless.htm

I put that link in my snippets/dvd.txt file the last time I saw it in
one of your posts. Thanks again.

> Are you using those arguments, and do you read your written CDs/DVDs as
> a device to check the md5sum against that of the iso you burned?

When I read an audio CD I use cdparanoia - should have added that to the list:

cdparanoia FTW!!! RAH RAH RAH<ok thanks>

Other things from my snippets/dvd.txt file:

When I read data cds and dvds (haven't needed to do so for a couple of
years, I used to use dd, which on chained read-write-read would create
a larger image, so nowadays I use the following:
sudo readom dev=/dev/scd0 f=my-image.iso

and this to record:
sudo wodim -v -eject dev=/dev/scd0 my-image.iso
sudo wodim -v -eject -format dev=/dev/scd0 # if you need to format an R/W first

 To write a tar archive directly to a CD that will later contain a  simple
# ISO9660 filesystem with the tar archive call:
tar cf - . | genisoimage -stream-media-size 333000 | wodim dev=b,t,l
-dao tsize=333000s -

# combine gen image/ write:
genisoimage -J -r -f -V myvolname -graft-points /=symlink-farm-dir
-stream-media-size 333000 | wodim dev=/dev/sr0 -dao tsize=333000s -
???

And here's one which I used, this one time, to copy off all the Debian
packages off a set of Debian DVDs, into a local archive (running
'quick and dirty archive creation command' afterwards of course):
# Example of two alternating (actually, parallel), commands,
# to optimally read in a bunch of DVDs into a local mirror:
sudo readom dev=/dev/scd0 f=s && eject   # (alternate with filename
't' instead of 's')
sudo mount -o loop /media/s /media/u && sudo nice rsync -av /media/u/
./ && sudo umount /media/u && sudo rm /media/s  # ditto

To create an ISO image from a set of files or symlinks:
genisoimage -J -r -f -V myvolname -o image.iso -graft-points /=symlink-farm-dir

Some flac audio commands I use (always store your master audio in flac
of course):
Rip an audio cd into a single master flac file, with cue sheet for tracks:
abcde -1npV -o flac -a default,cue -S 32

Convert the tracks in the file my_disc.flac into another format (in
this case vorbis):
abcde -o vorbis -d my_disc.flac

Creating a bootable USB stick on gnu:
> Which instructions or program are you using to create the pen drive?
cat  filename.iso.hybrid  > /dev/sdb,c,d,x
cp /my/debian-boot-dvd.iso /dev/sdWHATEVER
dd if=/my/debian-boot-dvd.iso of=/dev/sdBLAH bs=1M

Regards
Zenaan