Re: On what is helpful and what is not [was: Re: Wifi]

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 01:10:11PM +1100, Charlie Schroeder wrote:
> Life isn't about second guessing if you write or speak to someone if
> they will take offence surely? Isn't it so that you say your piece and
> people can take it or leave it. It's up to them.

"Life" and the Debian user mailing list are not the same thing. You can
make your own rules as to how you life and act within your own life, but
within a community one must abide the community rules. At the moment,
there's nothing explicitly written that dictates that one should be
polite, respectful, avoid causing offence, etc., for the Debian
community nor this mailing list. This is a bug which should be fixed and
the project is considering the adoption of a 'code of conduct' which
will replace the existing mailing list CoC. The text of the proposal is
here[1]. Of particular relevance here is, I think, "a community in which
people feel threatened is not a healthy community".

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2014/02/msg00069.html