Re: web/gui network server package?

On 10/03/14 14:14, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On 3/10/14, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/03/14 10:32, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
<snipped>

> 1G RAM, plenty of disk, p4 1.8GHz.
> Only one 100Mib NIC but I could (probably should) add another.

Thanks

>>> and wanting some gui or web router software (will need to install run
>>> a DHCPd, proxy DNSd and some NAT for my internal network - the ADSL
>>> modem/router simply falls over every now and then with
>>> bittorrent-like NAT connection load (a tor relay I've recently set
>>> up), so I am going to bridge the modem directly to my server, and
>>> have the server be the gatewal for my local network). I'll also need
>>> to run a pppoe client - the modem will be in bridging mode.

No web-based gui that'll do that in the Debian repository.... you can
install Webmin onto a stripped down Debian (or do without the gui).

As this is a Debian list I hesitate to suggest IpCop (but that's why I
often use for similiar job specs).

<snipped>

> Just an olde P4 desktop, I think it was from the 16th century, may be
> early 17th.

More than capable of doing the job in my experience. If you want to add
Snort to the mix *and* bittorrenting then you may need to do some
optimising, starting with compiling a custom kernel.

>>> The only thing I have found is netscript-2.4, which is a little
>>> ambiguous regarding its kernel support: Description-en: Linux
>>> 2.4/2.6/3.x router/firewall/VM host network config system. This is a
>>> router and firewall network configuration system.  It is specific to
>>> the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernel series.
>>
>> I'm uncertain what you find ambiguous about that in terms of kernel
>> support? Do you mean architecture? It supports all architectures.
>
> Simply that the package brief description line says
> "Linux 2.4/2.6/3.x router/firewall..." and the package description says
> "It is specific to the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernel series"
>
> There is the ambiguity regarding whether this package supports 3.x
> kernels or not...

File a bugreport for the package description perhaps?
It 'seems' the support 3.x series:-
http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/n/netscript-2.4/netscript-2.4_5.2.12_changelog

<snipped>

> Just trying to get the tor relay to not cause the adsl modem to fall
> over. It only seems to happen when the number of connections gets
> high, and I was advised by my ISP that the modems they supply
> (including this iiNet BoB device) tend to have pretty weak RAM
> availability and stop coping (as in, all connections start going
> really slow) when the NAT table gets 'too large'.

Yes.

> So offloading the NAT responsibility to the 'server' is my intention.

Using BoB in pass-through mode will do that for you.

> Sorry I should have described all this in my first email.

A bit like pulling teeth - without the bill :D