Re: web/gui network server package?

On 3/10/14, Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.debian.user@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/03/14 10:32, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> There are various OpenWRT distributions, including one based on
>> Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianWRT
>>
>> but the debian WRT appears to be command line only at this point.
>>
>> However, I'm just running on intel hardware
>
> Then DebianWRT is out of the question if you want pre-compiled (mips and
> mipsel arch only).
> OpenWRT supports a wider range of architectures, but you should maybe
> first take a look at Emdebian Grip/Emdebian.
>
> More importantly - tell us about your hardware. Intel isn't much of a
> userful description...

1G RAM, plenty of disk, p4 1.8GHz.
Only one 100Mib NIC but I could (probably should) add another.

>> and wanting some gui or web router software (will need to install run
>> a DHCPd, proxy DNSd and some NAT for my internal network - the ADSL
>> modem/router simply falls over every now and then with
>> bittorrent-like NAT connection load (a tor relay I've recently set
>> up), so I am going to bridge the modem directly to my server, and
>> have the server be the gatewal for my local network). I'll also need
>> to run a pppoe client - the modem will be in bridging mode.
>
> I'd also like to hear of a Debian package that does that. AFAIK there
> isn't any such beast in the Debian repositories.
>
> Software specifically for that purpose is GargoyleRMU, LuCI, and webif2,
> which have very low resource requirements. Webmin will do the same
> things (and much more) but requires perl which tends to be left off
> embedded devices[*1], and more RAM and CPU.

Thank you for the pointers. I'll check out those things.

>> I'm wondering if these are custom packages for the various OpenWRT
>> distros, or does a web gui or other gui for this 'router' exist in
>> Debian?
>
> [*1]
> Which model/make router is "this"?
> Or is this a secret? ;)

Just an olde P4 desktop, I think it was from the 16th century, may be
early 17th.

>> The only thing I have found is netscript-2.4, which is a little
>> ambiguous regarding its kernel support: Description-en: Linux
>> 2.4/2.6/3.x router/firewall/VM host network config system. This is a
>> router and firewall network configuration system.  It is specific to
>> the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernel series.
>
> I'm uncertain what you find ambiguous about that in terms of kernel
> support? Do you mean architecture? It supports all architectures.

Simply that the package brief description line says
"Linux 2.4/2.6/3.x router/firewall..." and the package description says
"It is specific to the 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernel series"

There is the ambiguity regarding whether this package supports 3.x
kernels or not...

>> Has anyone used this, or recommend something else?
>
> No, I haven't used that script - from the description it will only
> provide a subset of your requirements. Tell us more about the hardware
> you intend to use and you'll get a better answer to your questions.

There's an ADSL modem on the public side, which I can put into bridge
mode, and this old PC can then become (this is the plan) the router
(and dhcp, dns, nat, 'server') for the internal network.

>> Or perhaps I need
>> to subscribe to debian-isp or something?
>
> or debian-printing? :)   debian-firewall, maybe. Unless you forgot to
> mention you were planning on starting your ISP business from this secret
> router/modem....

Just trying to get the tor relay to not cause the adsl modem to fall
over. It only seems to happen when the number of connections gets
high, and I was advised by my ISP that the modems they supply
(including this iiNet BoB device) tend to have pretty weak RAM
availability and stop coping (as in, all connections start going
really slow) when the NAT table gets 'too large'.

So offloading the NAT responsibility to the 'server' is my intention.

Sorry I should have described all this in my first email.

Tahnk you
Zenaan