Re: Dirty switches: was Wifi

On 20140309_143209, Steve Litt of Troubleshooters.Com wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Mar 2014 08:13:43 -0700
> "LOwens" <owens@netptc.net> wrote:
>

> > Steve et al
> > I have a somewhat elderly Sony Vaio lappy with a Wi_Fi switch on the
> > side which enables/disables WiFi.  The switch is a bit touchy and
> > often must be toggled several times before WiFi is enabled.
> > Larry
>
> Hi Larry,
>
> The way I personally handle dirty switches is with electronics
> lubricant like Blowoff Electronic Lubricant. However, that's not
> without its risks, because you want the lubricant on the switch
> contacts and nothing else, so you can't go spraying it willy nilly
> around the whole switch. Sometimes it's better to use no-residue
> cleaner that, when it evaporates, leaves nothing behind.

Not quite nothing left behind. If the spray has any ionic content at
all, it will leave a little bit of residue that promotes slow
corrosion, or non-volatile petroleum residue that provides an
insulating layer on the contacts if allowed to accumulate. Whether it
works or not depends on how many time it has been done before, IMHO.
But try it. It can work, sometimes.