Re: Not able to get mpd/ncmpcpp to work

On 09/03/14 11:41, Anubhav Yadav wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have installed mpd and ncmpcpp.
>
> In the /etc/mpd.conf these are the changes that I have made
>
> music_directory     "/home/neo1691/Music/"
> user                "mpd"
> #group            "nogroup"  (This was commented out by default)
>

> That's it nothing else!
>
> Whenever I start my laptop, the service mpd is already started
> mpd       3304  0.0  0.0 411928   820 ?        Ssl  13:04   0:00
> /usr/bin/mpd /etc/mpd.conf
>
> When I start ncmpcpp, pressing u does not update the list, and my
> playlist always remains blank.
>
> This is what I have tried so far:
>
> 1) I tried to change the permissions of one or two music files inside
> /home/neo1691/Music and granted read permissions to everyone.
>
> Result: ncmpcpp is still plain blank.
>
> 2) I also tried changing the music_directory to its default value,
> ie(/var/lib/mpd/music), copied some music there and then started ncmpcpp.
>
> Result: Nothing again.
>
> 3) I tried changing the user option in ncmpcpp to neo1691, then the
> service mpd would never start.
>
> Please help! Thanks!

As Andrei suggested, try and lower the complexity one or two steps.

There is a troubleshooting guide on the MPD Wiki page:
http://mpd.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Player_Daemon_HOWTO_Troubleshoot
Any help from that?

Once you get around connecting and controlling MPD, I'm surprised you
didn't have to change anything in the audio_output section, but I can't
remember whether there were working default settings. Here is my
mpd.conf (audio out through either a USB DAC or through optical S/PDIF)

$ egrep -v ^\s*(#|$) /etc/mpd.conf
music_directory		"/nfs/media"
playlist_directory		"/var/lib/mpd/playlists"
db_file			"/var/lib/mpd/tag_cache"
log_file			"/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"
pid_file			"/var/run/mpd/pid"
state_file			"/var/lib/mpd/state"
sticker_file                   "/var/lib/mpd/sticker.sql"
user				"mpd"
bind_to_address		"any"
auto_update    "yes"
input {