Re: domain-name option during the installation of Debian

On 08/03/14 12:40, Martin T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during the installation of Debian, one is asked for "domain name".

If it's not set automatically (by arping?)

> Only place where it seems to be used is for completing the FQDN's:
>
> root@localhost:~# find / \( \( -path "/proc" -o -path "/sys" \) -a
> -prune \) -o \( -type f -a -exec grep -iH "lab.net" {} \; \)
> /var/log/installer/status:Maintainer: Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi@remlab.net>
> /var/log/installer/status:Maintainer: Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi@remlab.net>
> /var/log/installer/cdebconf/questions.dat:Value: lab.net
> /etc/network/interfaces: dns-search lab.net
> root@localhost:~#
>

> So in case I execute "ping www", it is translated automatically to
> "ping www.lab.net".

?  Do you mean when running ping from the local machine? (www. should be
a subdomain).  The only way I'd see that was if it was registered in a
local dns, /etc/hosts, or as a result of .htaccess (in a web server).

> However, where and how is the domain-name used during/after Debian installation?

I'm having a particularly thick day and don't understand the question.
Do you mean where is it stored, and an exhaustive list of it's
applications?

> regards,
> Martin

Puzzled by question and your results from ping.

Kind regards