Re: domain-name option during the installation of Debian

Scott,

what I meant with this ping example is that domain name provided
during the installation(lab.net in my case) seems to be in use only in
one place which is the /etc/network/interfaces file "dns-search" line.
This means that if I execute "host www", it asks DNS server for A
record for www.lab.net or if I execute "ping mail", then I'm actually
executing "ping mail.lab.net". You can read more about this from
manual page of resolv.conf.

However, the question itself is simple- where and how is the domain
name, which I inserted during the installation, used? So far it seems
to be used only for completing the domain names.

regards,
Martin