Re: Samba 4

On 08/03/14 06:18, Shane Johnson wrote:
> I have been working on this for 3 days now and need some assistance
> please.
>
> Somewhere, I am running into a disconnect between documentations.  I
>  have used the resources on wiki.samba.org <http://wiki.samba.org>
> to try and set up just a simple file share.  I don't  need it to be
> a PDC or a BDC or do printer shares.  I have also tried google and
> the references I could find there and still am stuck.  All the
> Debian info I can find relates to Samba3.

Make sure the Samba3 processes have changed before discarding the guide ;)

> Therefore, If anyone know how to do this or can point me to a
> reference that they know works that would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I am running Jessie-amd64 and trying to set up just a file share.

I'm presuming you've broken the process into steps to aid debugging e.g.

Ensure your smb.conf for your file share is correctly configured:-
$ testparm -v | less

Test that it works
$ smbclient -L localhost

Check your logs for errors.

When you have that setup properly then try configuring authentication
against the Windoof PDC. Test that by using smbclient locally and
authenticating against the PDC to access other CIFS shares - then try
using the PDC to access you local share.

> I want it to authenticate against my domain controller ( Member
> server ) about half the commands from the samba wiki say no such
> program

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by the last half of that
sentence.

> and I have joined the server to the domain

How do that?
How did you determine it was "joined"?

Sorry if the answers to those questions should be obvious to me, but I'm
a bit thick, and I rarely set up Samba.

> but can't do anything beyond that. I have installed samba4 from the
> repositories.  I guess my next step would be to compile from source
> if I can't get the programs from the repositories to work.
>
> Please help.
>
> Thank you. -- Shane D. Johnson IT Administrator Rasmussen Equipment

You many find this article instructive:-
http://david-latham.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/samba4-windows-and-linux-authentication.html

A *very* useful resource is:-
https://lists.samba.org/
Posting protocol:-
https://www.samba.org/samba/ml-etiquette.html

Kind regards

P.S. Please don't post HTML to the list. A very short guide on how to
post plain text from gmail is here:-
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMailingLists#Gmail