A question about Aptitude interactive mode

There is, new to me, a new feature in Aptitude. Some time in the past
within the past 18 months, I lost the ability to adjust the colors on
the text display.  Now all I get is a white letters on a black
background.  I get this in both gnome-terminal and in Xfce terminal.
Both terminal emulators are configured to display black letters on
white back. In both, when I type the command, aptitude, the screen
flips, apparently as part of aptitude initialization. Where is this
behavior configured? I want to change it.

TIA
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net