Re: questions about password safes

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 1:56 AM, Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> wrote:
> I run Wheezy, desktop Xfce. I want to start using a password
> safe. [...]

I don't know if this is going to be another of my suggestions that
will prove incendiary or not, but, really, think carefully about this.

One, every piece of software that touches your passwords is one more
that can see them and might be perverted to give it up to someone you
don't want to give it up to. (Not talking about helping in the
execution of wills here.)

Two, password safes are easy to build. If you haven't built one yet,
give it a try. The only problem with building your own is choosing (or
choosing not to use) an API to follow so that software can pass the
authentication job off to your home-built password safe, but I
personally see that as a feature. The reason why is because of the the
next point:

Three, I already seem to have installed two password safes. I'm not
sure how, except that the KDE one was probably part of some package
provided by the boys at KDE, and the Gnome one, well, by the boys at
Gnome. They aren't called safes, they are called wallets.

And they aren't mine. (See points one and two.)

Four, I actually have a third safe installed. It's called gnupg. It's
a little baroque, but at least it doesn't jump in and say "LET ME HELP
YOU! LET ME HELP YOU! WHY WON'T YOU LET ME HELP YOU?!?!?!?!?!" every
time I run an svnsync. (Yeah, I'm new to svnsync, and not all that
familiar with svn. Still get a bit confused when switching between git
and svn. I'm sure I'm supposed to have set something up in the svn
configurations to tell wallets and such to stay the longest way away
from my authentication chain.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.