Re: questions about password safes

On 08/03/14 03:56, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I run Wheezy, desktop Xfce. I want to start using a password
> safe. I've done some searching on the Web and would like to use Bruce
> Schneier's "Password Safe".

Good choice. There are a myriad of "secure" password managers available.
Unlike many of the others Password Safe has been thoroughly audited.
(KeepassX has had some auditing).

> There is a package in Sid by the name
> "mypasswordsafe.deb". I hope that this is a version of Schneier's
> software suitable modified to word with Debian.

As someone has already pointed out. The version in the Debian repository
not for your CPU. It's basically Password Safe with a GTK interface.

You can use the Ubuntu package of Password Safe (I find it works well in
Wheezy, not tested in Sid):-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/passwordsafe/files/latest/download?source=files
# dpkg -i passwordsafe-ubuntu-*.deb
# apt-get -f install

The last command install the missing dependencies, at minimum,
libxerces-c3.1 libykpers-1-1 libyubikey0

Password Safe related projects:-
http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/relatedprojects.shtml

You can download the non-Debian package here (but you may find sticking
to Debian packaging simpler):-
http://www.semanticgap.com/myps/release/

<snipped>

> If, yes, I can conclude that a backport is not yet available.  If it
> is not yet available, is there some other password safe software that
> someone will suggest for use while I wait for what I really want.

Thoroughly audited (suitable for intended purposes)?  Not AFAIK.
Avoid "store in the cloud" password managers - trusting some company to
keep your data safe, for free, doesn't have a great track record.

"Popular" password managers with a history of vulnerabilities include
Keepass and Lastpass (not an exhaustive list of less than perfect
"security" products. The former at least don't store the data in a
"cloud" but did take months to patch a minor vulnerability.

> TIA

Kind regards