Re: questions about password safes

On 20140307_173105, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 09:56:40AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > I run Wheezy, desktop Xfce. I want to start using a password
> > safe. I've done some searching on the Web and would like to use Bruce
> > Schneier's "Password Safe". There is a package in Sid by the name
> > "mypasswordsafe.deb". I hope that this is a version of Schneier's
> > software suitable modified to word with Debian. But ... I have never
> > installed anything from Sid before and I want some help/guidance.
>
> I'm not sure where you're getting this "mypasswordsafe.deb" package
> from. https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mypasswordsafe reports
> no results. If you've downloaded the package from Mr Schneier's site
> then it's not "in sid" (it's not "in Debian" at all). That doesn't

I got it from browsing the https://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/
So, although it may not be in a Debian repository, it does display on
a Debian web site right not, today.
It seemed like it might be a false positive, and you confirmed that
it is, indeed, not what I'm looking for.

I haven't tried downloading anything from Scheier's site because I already
know he has turned over future maintenance and development to a group
at source forge. The site I found is
http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/
They claim they are continuing his work. But for security stuff ...
I worry about whether I should trust them, given what we have learned
from the Snowden security breakage.

Oh well. I hope that Debian will get in touch with the sourceforge
people and do some due-diligence before they package the product.

> necessarily mean it won't work, though, just that you shouldn't expect
> support here (i.e Go pester Bruce if it breaks).
>
> If you trust the package, you can try:
>   dpkg -i mypasswordsafe.deb
>   apt-get -f install
>
> Though perhaps a saner way to manage that is to install the gdebi
> package (apt-get install gdebi, or gdebi-kde if you use KDE), then run
>   gdebi-gtk mypasswordsafe.deb
>
> GDebi will tell you what packages the .deb depends on BEFORE it installs
> it. It will also tell you if those dependencies aren't satisfiable. (It
> might be that, if the package is compiled for Sid, it depends on
> libraries newer than you have, for example).

Thankyou for the compliment of presuming I know what I'm doing. I doubt
very much that I could get gdebi and use it correctly without a lot of hand
holding. I don't want to do that. I'm not lazy. I just can't believe I
would be convinced of my answer, so why exercise people on such a project?

> > There doesn't seem to be a back-port, but I may not have the right
> > backport line.
> > Is "deb http://mirrors.geeks.org/debian/ wheezy-updates main " what I
> > need?
>
> No. Wheezy-Updates and Wheezy-Backports are different things.
> Wheezy-Updates is what used to be called "volatile": a small repository
> of packages which need to be updated frequently (virus signature
> updates, API changes etc). Wheezy-Backports is a more-or-less adhoc
> repository of newer packages compiled for stable. The apt-line for
> wheezy backports would be:
>   deb http://mirrors.geeks.com/debian wheezy-backports main

Thanks. That will go into my sources.list as soon as I finish this email

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net