Re: HELP !!! confused trying to install tshark on wheezy

On 26/02/2014 16:38, Kirt Odle wrote:
> I am very new to Debian ( and any other linux ) and I'm trying to install tshark.
>
> I've downloaded tshark and have run the command ... dpkg -i tshark_1.8.2-5wheezy9_i386.deb
>
> This printed out a lot of errors and listed missing libraries and other dependencies.
>
> However, I am very confused on how to figure out which dependency files I need to download for my i386 and which ones I don't need.
>
> This seems to be very labor intensive, and I'm wondering if I can somehow get Wheezy to automatically determine, download and install all the dependencies based on the version of Debian and tshark I have.
>
> Please help if you can.  I am fairly computer literate, but not linux at all.  This is my first attempt.
>
> thanks
>
> Kirt Odle

Uh, you just asked this in a different thread ...

anyway, the _easiest_ way to download/install programs is using aptitude, apt
(my preference), or synaptic package manager.

so, "sudo apt-get install tshark" will grab tshark, and any dependencies that
are /required/ to make it run (such as libpcap and some other wireshark bits).
Note that you should run this command without the quotes.

If you want the suggested packages too (e.g. documentation, or other
non-critical packages that are still nice to have), then you can use the command
"sudo apt-get --install-suggests install tshark" (as before, without the quotes)

Quick output from my box when I ran it:
dan@Think-server:~$ sudo apt-get install tshark
[sudo] password for dan:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libc-ares2 libcap2-bin liblua5.1-0 libpam-cap libsmi2ldbl libwireshark-data
libwireshark1 libwiretap1 libwsutil1 wireshark-common
Suggested packages:
  libcap-dev snmp-mibs-downloader wireshark-doc
*The following NEW packages will be installed:
  libc-ares2 libcap2-bin liblua5.1-0 libpam-cap libsmi2ldbl libwireshark-data
libwireshark1 libwiretap1 libwsutil1 tshark wireshark-common*
0 upgraded, 11 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 14.4 MB of archives.
After this operation, 60.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

-Dan