Re: Am I paranoid?

I did. It only shows that files are there:
/etc/pam.d/vmtoolsd
/usr/bin/vmtoolsd

By the way, there is also /etc/vmware-tools folder

This rather highlights why I like Arch's package manager (Pacman.) more
than APT. Pacman features a command (pacman -Qo <file>) that explicitly
checks a file you specify for package ownership.

dpkg --search ${filename}

Thank you:

dpkg --search /usr/bin/vmtoolsd
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/vmtoolsd

dpkg --search /etc/pam.d/vmtoolsd
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /etc/pam.d/vmtoolsd

dpkg --search vmtoolsd
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern *vmtoolsd*