Re: Am I paranoid?

Hi
I cannot see a package named "vmtoolsd" in the debian archives. But I
can see a package named "open-vm-tools", which has files named like
that:

Yes, I know. No, I do not have "open-vm-tools" package.

This package seems to be the VMware Tools bit intended to be installed
on a guest VM - i.e. it does not provide virtualisation, but does
stuff guests...

Is your box a VMWare guest? If not, then you should not need open-vm-tools.

Yes, I know. No, my computer is not a virtual machine and I did not install on it any virtual machine software (and especially not VMware).

My guess was that somebody assumed it is a VM box. (That's why I mentioned stealing of processor cycles)

I would not suspect this to be the case here. If you have the
open-vm-tools package from the Debian repository, you should be safe.

Hope this helps

No, according to synaptic I do not have installed any package that has "VM" in it.

But thanks anyway.