Re: Re: Old software in debian allowed?

Le 22.02.2014 21:58, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
On Sat, 2014-02-22 at 21:13 +0100, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 21.02.2014 21:07, Ralf Mardorf a écrit :
> If you only need to build a package for yourself, it must be
> something
> similar to that, you should try
>
> # apt-get source FOO_BAR
> # apt-get build-dep FOO_BAR
> # mv -vi FOO_BAR-xy/ FOO_BAR-pq
> # wget FOO_BAR'S_NEW_SOURCE_FROM_UPSTREAM
> # tar xvjf FOO_BAR-...
> # cd FOO_BAR-...
> # gedit debian/changelog
> # gedit debian/rules
> # libtoolize --force --copy --automake
> # aclocal
> # autoreconf
> # debuild -b -us -uc
> # dpkg -i
>
> if this shouldn't work, try to compile the most common way,
> configure,
> make, make install, but replace make only or make and make install by
> checkinstall
>
> # ./configure
> # checkinstall --install=no
> # dpkg -i

I did some tries, too. Not with the intent to do something clean enough to send into debian, but it works well enough to be distributed ( for a lib I needed in a software that I never finished to write, btw. Still
have the sources, which are still free too, so maybe some day...) .

What you need to know are the dependencies of the software you
compiled.
With those informations, you can write a "control" file in a DEBIAN
subdirectory located where you have the binaries.
This file is made with at least those lines ( it worked for me(tm) ):
Package: <package's name>
Version: <package's version>
Section: <package's section, aca, for example, lib, admin, devel...>
Architecture: <package's architecture. For non binary programs, it is often "all", otherwise the arch for which you compiled the stuff. It can
be generated with dpkg --print-architecture if you did not cross
compiled.>
Depends: <list of the packages the user have to install to make the
program running>
Recommends: < list of packages that could adds features to your
program>
Suggests: < I personally used it to give a link to documentation...
more informations will come from people with real experience I guess. >
Homepage: <blabla>
Maintainer: <blabla>

When you have the folder DEBIAN with a correct "control" file, you can go in the parent's directory of your future package, and run, as root
"#dpkg-deb -b <package's folder>" which will build your .deb file.

This method does not use a lot of deb's features, but it makes a deb
package that can be used and is not too hard to follow. I had automated
some of those tasks in some shell scripts, too.

The "# apt-get source"-way I described above would take all the
dependency information from an existing package, just the source code
will be replaced by another version from upstream.

So there are many ways to build "unprofessional" packages for private
usage :).

Indeed, but if I have understood correctly, there are currently no packages for the software the OP wants to package :)
That's why I described that quick and dirty method of mine.