Re: Physically have install DVD set. Want ISO's from which they came.

On 23 February 2014 02:57, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>> David wrote:
>>>
>>> Sometime between then and now, it seems that the
>>> debian-reference has
>>> been edited and that information has entirely disappeared from
>>> the current
>>> version, and so the above debian.org link is now broken.
>
> I raised this question on debian-www and was told:
> "
> Content was moved to chapter 9.6 due to rearranging the chapters:
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch09.en.html#_the_disk_image
> "

Yes, the relevant info is the latter half of section 9.6.6 now.

Sorry for the misinformation! I did actually scan there before writing
the above, but I was reading too quickly and carelessly and my eye
didn't notice the latter half.

By the way, that example reads the dvd twice:
  # dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=23150592 conv=notrunc,noerror | md5sum
  # dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=23150592 conv=notrunc,noerror > cd.iso

whereas if you know that you do actually want the output file, it will
be quicker to
read it once and then checksum the file like this:
  # dd if=/dev/cdrom bs=2048 count=23150592 conv=notrunc,noerror > cd.iso
  # md5sum cd.iso