Re: resolv.conf misbehaving

On 20/02/2014 10:17, Danny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The past weekend I upgraded from Debian v3.0 to the latest Debian stable (7.0 or
> something) ... (wish I never did) ...
>
> However, I have noticed that my resolv.conf gets overwritten by something after
> every reboot. The Debian server resolves all local (internal) addresses and the
> ADSL router resolves all external addresses.
>
> Normally my resolv.conf looked like this
>
> nameserver 10.0.0.2 (ADSL router)
> nameserver 10.0.0.5 (Debian server to resolve local addresses)
>
> Now it get's overwritten with :
>
> nameserver 10.0.0.2
>
> I need to reslove both local and external addresses. At the moment I have to
> manually add the 10.0.0.5 into the resolv.conf file after rebooting.
>
> Any help or pointers?
>
> Thank You
>
> Danny

If you're using DHCP and the router is the DHCP server, then you will (by
default) only get the nameserver(s) that the DHCP server pushes (i.e. the router).

If you're allowed to reconfig your router (depends on the ISP), then tell it to
push out your DNS server instead of the router (and work with that DNS server
for everything then). This is (almost) what I did at home, except that I turned
off DHCP on the router, and have DNS/DHCP running from an internal server (it
pushes itself, and then Open DNS).

If you're not allowed to reconfig the router, then you should be able to add the
additional nameserver via /etc/network/interfaces (even if you're still using
DHCP addresses), so that the resolveconf package can properly generate the
resolv.conf file on startup. Though, I admit

-Dan