Re: systemd: some more questions

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 14:11 +0100, Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:
> Ralf Mardorf writes:
>  > On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 06:59 -0500, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>  > > I still cringe when I think of the first time I replaced ethernet card
>  > > in a server and udev changed the name
>
> I had to patch the udev conf in a VM image template to overcome this :).
>
>  > During setting up Arch Linux with systemd the device name switched from
>  > eth0 to enp3s0 on my machine.
>
> Any reason for this?
>
> This  could create  "a  certain  amount of  work"  to  people used  to
> automate things by means of shell scripts...

It's not only work to edit scripts, but also a pain to remember such a
counterintuitive name. IMO eth_ is easy to remember, whereas enp_s_ is
horrible. When I had to troubleshoot why linux-rt > 3.8 doesn't run on
my machine I didn't use my Arch install and journalctl, but compiled all
the kernels for Debian and used the old faithful Debian log files. I
didn't find the issue, but at least I could handle those old log files,
while using journalctl makes me think about Seppuku :D.
However, we need to become used to systemd, SysVinit/initscripts have no
future, so we shouldn't waste additional time for lamenting ;).

Yes, it's "a  certain  amount of  work", perhaps we will used to it
after a while. I'm using systemd since a long time now, but I was to
lazy to care much about it and I like my Debian without systemd, while
regarding to other "things" I prefer my Arch Linux install.