Re: images that play nicely with revision control?

just to give a flavour of the picture drawing capability (unusable unless you include "\usetikzlibrary{fit,positioning,decorations.pathmorphing}" at the top of the whole document) - here is

I forgot - my hartley.cls file also uses tikz picture (I draw some coloured lines (actually rectangles) at the bottom of the page and there is an option to print a light DRAFT across the page diagonally - so you will also need to include

\usepackage{tikz}

to bring in the whole drawing package