images that play nicely with revision control?

I'm looking for a file format for images that plays nicely with revision
control. Ideally I'd like to edit them while seeing what I'm editing,
whether it's a line drawing (like inkscape) or a pixel map.

And I'd like to keep the whole thing under revision control (like
monotone, or git, or such.  Currently I use monotone).

But any kind of compressed file format is probably not going to cut it.
Revision control seems to be designed for program text, with lots of
newlines in stable places.

If all else fails, and I get desperate I could even store my images as
programs in, say, Scheme or C or some such, and run the code to see the
image.  But that would make editing difficult.  And in that case, I'd
like recommendations to graphics libraries that can output to a variety
of formats, such as onto the screen, into a jpeg file, to svg or html
format, or some such.

I would definitely prefer not to write a whole new image editor from
scratch.

-- hendrik