Re: images that play nicely with revision control?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 05:37:49PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 10:47:11 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> > Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >> I'm looking for a file format for images that plays nicely with
> >> revision control. Ideally I'd like to edit them while seeing what I'm
> >> editing, whether it's a line drawing (like inkscape) or a pixel map.
> >> [snip]
> >
> > You didn't say much about your actual drawing mixture. You might get
> > some ideas by looking at details of *EARLY*
> > versions of HPGL and PostScript.
> > A couple of quick links from Google:
> >     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HPGL
> >     https://www.swiftview.com/pclcorner/pclcorner1.htm
> >
> > I'm drawing on memories circa Win 3.1 and CPM-80 .
> > HTH YMMV ;/
>
> AH!  The days before widespread revision control!
>
> HPGL looks like it would fit the bill, for line drawings, anyway. If I
> could get an off-the-shelf editor to read it and write it, anyway. It
> dose seem to be more like object code than source code, so to speak.
>
> It would work with revision control if I could put in newlines instead of
> semicolons. Or modify the revision control system to accept semicolons
> and treat them as it now handles newlines.  Really, it should be possible
> for a revision control to understand file types and know what's special
> about them.

I believe that *is* possible, but it's either not widely done or perhaps
it just needs the right configuration set. For example, the Tortoise*
front-ends on Windows (TortoiseGit, TortoiseSVN etc) can spot Microsoft
Word documents (due to their mime-type) and, rather than invoking the
usual diff program to show differences, will launch Word in a "Document
Compare" mode.

Diff'ing images would probably want to involve a viewer that can flick
between the two images (as one would do in astronomy) as well as,
perhaps, showing the difference in the 'code' (perhaps the only
difference is compression).

How you invoke per-mime-type diff programs will, of course, depend on
your VCS.