Re: Embed text into video file and search video from text?

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 01:29:04PM -0500, Nick Lidakis wrote:
> I have a text file that includes time stamps. I also
> have video (H.264, MPEG-4 or JPEG stills) recorded from
> an IP camera. I'm trying to find a way to jump to certain
> points of he videos based on events in the text file at hand.
> The text file is generated from an RS-232 port.
>

> The IP camera, from Axis, has support for dynamic text overlay
> but I'm not sure if that could be searched.
>

> I've tried Google and have not found anything. I was hoping
> there was something out there in he scientific realm, i.e.,
> video text overlay searchable by event, i.e, temp. change.

Looking at Wikipedia, MPEG4 supports "MPEG4 Timed Text" (aka subtitles)
embedded in the stream. ffmpeg should be able to combine the reference
video and some SRT-formatted text events using something like:
 ffmpeg -i Original.mp4 -i Events.src -slang foo -acodec copy -scodec copy \
    output.mp4 -newsusbtitle

(where -slang *foo* is an ISO 639-2 code. 'zxx' (no linguistic content,
not applicable) may be a good choice).