Re: How to block kernel updates

On 02/08/2014 11:52 AM, Roelof Wobben wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2014 22:40:43 +1300
>> From: cbannister@slingshot.co.nz
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Subject: Re: How to block kernel updates
>>
>> On Sat, Feb 08, 2014 at 08:55:50AM +0000, Joe wrote:

>>> I run three or four sid installations. Occasionally a new kernel does
>>> not boot, often due to a grub problem.
>>
>> AFAIUI, if the package has a different name, as newer releases of
>> kernels do, then APT won't consider it an update, it is just another
>> package.
>>
>> Hopefully, the average newbie to this list does not run Sid, but giving
>> the impression that APT won't replace kernels "as it is a bit risky" is
>> incorrect and misleading.
>
> Im not the average newbie and Im running jessie now.
>
> Can anyone tell me a good partition scheme for a 80G disk so im not running
> again in problems.
>
> Roelof

Hi Roelof,

My workstation uses Debian GNU/Linux 7 (amd64),
and my partition scheme is :

Filesystem                                              1K-blocks
Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                                                   48059932
19464828  26153756  43% /

/dev/md2                                               1872874484
833246124 944491852  47% /home

As you can see the root file system is about 50GB and only 20GB are used.

On the other hand directories what are supposed to contains a lot of
data are linked to /home like /var/lib/postgresql -> /home/postgresql,
but you can do the same for valuable data such as git repositories, SVN,
etc.

Because your disk is only 80GB you may prefer single root partition, but
do not forger to make backup when you are going to make a fresh install
on the disk.

HTH

Best regards
Georgi