Re: About to format the whole laptop, need some partitioning advice.

Le 06.02.2014 11:03, Scott Ferguson a écrit :
On 06/02/14 20:09, berenger.morel@neutralite.org wrote:

Le 05.02.2014 19:31, John Hasler a écrit :
yaro wrote:
Separate /usr is unneeded and actually complicates boot for little
benefit.

It allows you to mount it read-only (or not at all when there's a
problem). It only complicates boot due to the practice of putting stuff
that belongs under / under /usr.

Do you have some example? I would like to learn that kind of issues
*before* they happen to me :)

An fsck error.
In which case it's quicker to run e2fsck on just /usr than on the entire /

I meant an example of stuff which should be in / but are in fact in /usr.

NOTE: I don't see why a "desktop" user would need a separate /usr for
any other reason - but I'll keep following the post thread just in case.

Kind regards

Filling /usr enough to make it explode? If it is in /, then it is said ( here and there ) that it may cause problems. However I do not have enough knowledge myself to know if it is true.