Re: Difference between apt and apt-get

berenger.morel@neutralite.org writes:

 > Le 06.02.2014 11:13, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
 > > On Thursday 06 February 2014 05:43:45 Muntasim-Ul-Haque wrote:
 > >> I want to know what is the basic difference between *apt*, as in
 > >> /apt update/ and *apt-get*, as in /apt-get update/.
 > >
 > > Can one do <apt update>?  I have never heard of it, which could
 > > easily
 > > be my ignorance, but Google can't find it either.  If it exists, I
 > > would be interested in what it is used for.
 > >
 > > Lisi
 >
 > Command-not-found also does not know about it, so my guess is that "apt
 > update" just does not exists. I tend to trust command-not-found :)

dpkg -L apt shows no evidence of an executable named apt.

 > And so, we have our difference, as said by Scott previously: apt is the
 > generic name for the management system, apt-get is one tool to
 > manipulate this system.

and is distributed within the apt package together with `dpkg -L apt` :) :) :)

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO