Build binary package from debian sources.New format 3.Errors.

When I needed to build a package from debian sources I used to:
bzcat ../debianpackage.diff.gz | patch -p1 from within the original source.Then:
debuild.And everything went smoothly.

Now I do (and does not work):

From within the original package sources directory tree:

tar xfz ../debianpackage.debian.tar.gz (the patch tree)

A debian directory appears within the original sources top level directory
and I do:

debuild or
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

And does not work.What am I doing wrong?