Re: Handbrake crashing

Thanks

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 7:42 AM, <berenger.morel@neutralite.org> wrote:
You said that you had no message, even when started in a terminal? Not even "segmentation fault"? That's strange and nobody but the author could help you at this point I guess.

That is correct. Not so much as a "by your leave." :) Nothing in syslog, daemon.log, debug, nothing.

But anyway, you could find more informations by trying to install the dbg package, and to give gdb some work. It could work.
Do a check about official dependencies, and verify that they are installed, too. Sometimes Debian's maintainers forgot some (I had the situation sometimes in the past, but in that case you should have a message when you run it from console, except if dev have redirected the output somewhere in the void. Already seen that, too.).
You could also try to not use the experimental package ( you're running sid, but this tool seems to be present in testing too. ) for the tool itself and/or it's dependencies.

I have found the problem. It appears it is not handbrake, but rather it is libdvdnav4. In the upgrade from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1, some symbols were removed, specifically, dvdnav_dup and dvdnav_free_dup. It is listed in bug 735760. I downgraded libdvdnav4:amd64 from 4.2.1-2 to 4.2.0+20130225-4, and it works with the current version of handbrake.

--b