Re: Advice sought for Squeeze to Wheezy upgrade

On Wed, 05 Feb 2014 16:20:48 +0100
JK4 <junk4@klunky.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
>  I would like to upgrade from Squeeze to Wheezy, and I'd read this
> should be easy... Mine is an email ( postfix dovecot.
>  ) and apache server with mysql from DotDeb.
>
> Why should I upgrade? My only reason for upgrading is for OpenSSL
> version 1, if I were to be honest.

Also, Squeeze will lose security support in another few months.

> I would like to ensure that when I do an "apt-get upgrade and then
> apt-get dist-upgrade after changing my sources.lst from squeeze to
> wheezy, I don't end up with a broken server! perhaps I should pin my
> dotdeb packages for mysql in case this breaks.
>
> I was wondering if somebody could offer me some advice on this? I 've
> included my current sources.lst if it' s useful.

As someone else posted, read the release notes for Wheezy, there is a
large section devoted to upgrading from Squeeze. Most of the important
stuff is clearing any held packages, and fixing broken ones, so you have
a standard Squeeze installation to start from. You also need to make
separate provision for any software not installed using the apt tools
e.g. from source, or using a proprietary installer.

Always do a full OS backup before upgrading. It's easy enough to backup
the MySQL data separately, and restore it to another installation if
necessary. Probably also take a separate backup of /var/www, and /etc,
just in case of problems arising from Murphy's Law. If you're running a
production server, you probably know the data and configuration
information you would need if you have to rebuild onto a clean OS
installation.

I use Apache and MySQL, and there were no upgrade issues at all, but I
use the standard Debian repository. If you are using different software
from the Squeeze versions then you'll need to check the dependencies
and confirm that Wheezy fulfils them. I use exim4, Courier and
Sqirrelmail for email, so I can't advise there.

--
Joe