Re: setting laserprinter as default destination help needed

On Tue 04 Feb 2014 at 17:58:47 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Using connection type: par

You have told the HP software you have a printer attached to a parallel
port.

>             Device URI                                       Model
>   -----------------------------------------------  ------------------
>   hp:/par/HP_LaserJet_4_Plus?device=/dev/parport0  HP LaserJet 4 Plus
>
> Found 1 printer(s) on the 'par' bus.

The software agrees that you do have a printer attached to a parallel
port and sets the Device URI (the place where print jobs go after being
sent to the print queue). You might want to look at lpadmin(8) and the
-v option.

> What should I tell lpoptions as root to have this printer set as the
> system default destination for printing?

The installed print queue (or destination) for the Device URI has a name
which you have given it.

   lpstat -v

will tell you what it is if you have forgotten it.

   lpoptions -d destination

will set whatever you put as 'destination' as the default printer. Why
you want to do this as root is beyond me. If you think doing it makes
that print queue/destination immutable you are mistaken.

>                                           I'll have to set this as
> unshared too since I really don't need drive by spammers trashing my
> printer and print jobs with their garbage.  I don't know how to translate
> hp-probe's output to anything acceptable to lpoptions.

   cupsctl --no-share-printers	(as root)

will do this.

You may find the web interface at

   http://localhost:631

more convenient to use for both these settings.

Regarding

lpstat does not set a default destination but does display what it is.