Re: ssh login problem from one particular client

On Wed, 2014-01-29 at 13:47 -0600, Craig L. wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 02:07:08PM -0600, Craig L. wrote:
> > I have a couple of VMs running on a remote server: one with an older version of
> > Ubuntu, and one running wheezy. I have an ssh tunnel with X forwarding set up
> > so that I can access the machines from my system as localhost
> > (ssh -p 48828 user@localhost and ssh -p 48829 user@localhost).
> > Yesterday I opened Firefox on the Ubuntu box and was dragging the window to
> > move it, when it suddenly disappeared. In my connection terminal the message
> > "write failed, broken pipe" appeared, and the connection to the remote server
> > was gone.
> >
> > When I tried to reconnect, it took almost 60 seconds for the password prompt to
> > show up. Ever since then this problem occurs from my machine to either of the
> > VMs. I can ssh into the host server and from there ssh into either VM, and I get
> > a password prompt immediately. Today I fired up a VM on my local machine,
> > created the tunnel through the server to one of the remote VMs, and tried to
> > ssh in. The password prompt appeared immediately.
> >
> > In all cases, once I log in everything responds immediately as expected. It is
> > just the login prompt that is a problem. The remote machines all have
> > UseDNS = no set, and everything has worked fine for several months until this
> > problem yesterday.
> >
> > So it looks like the problem is something that has changed on my local machine,
> > but I have no idea what, or where to begin. We have been having intermittent
> > network issues between here and the building that houses the remote server, and
> > that is probably what caused the initial connection loss. But I wouldn't think
> > severing a connection would cause this subsequent problem. Since the server is
> > on a remote VM I don't think I can ssh in and then run the server in the
> > foreground to watch it run, can I? I have checked the logs on both ends, but
> > nothing looks abnormal to me. The only thing I have not tried is rebooting my
> > machine, but that's so windows and probably not necessary. So I've turned to
> > y'all for a clue as to how to troubleshoot this issue.
>
> This appears to be a problem with an ASA firewall appliance and is being
> looked at by our network team and the vendor. I will be happy to provide
> more information if I ever get it.

Sorry to have dropped you out Craig, my next sugestion would have been
to configure iptables logging rules and maybe run some packet sniffer
such as wireshark. But from afar it is difficult to give blind hints.
Please do report your findings, so we can all learn.

--
André N. Batista
GNUPG/PGP KEY: 6722CF80