Confused about dist-upgrade

A thread about dist-upgrade has me confused. In my experience I have only ever run 'apt-get dist-upgrade' when I wanted to move from one release to the next, say, from squeeze to wheezy.

Similarly, if I wanted to insure I had the latest versions of packages already installed (and any/all security fixes) I have run 'apt-get update' followed immediately by 'apt-get upgrade.'

But the thread currently underway about dist-upgrade suggests that users are running it rather routinely, and not at all necessarily to move from one release to the next.

Can someone please point out what I am missing?

Thanks,

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is