Re: OT: setting up public wifi

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/29/2014 9:33 AM, Rob Owens wrote:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Jerry Stuckle
<jstuckle@attglobal.net
<mailto:jstuckle@attglobal.net>> wrote:

    On 1/28/2014 1:42 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

        I need to set up wifi in a church, and share the wifi
with the
        rectory
        (a separate building).  I've been doing some research,
but am
        looking
        advice to help me get through this quicker.

<snip>

    Rob,

    What's your background in such technologies, i.e. rf, hot spot
    creation/management, etc.?

I have enough background that I know I can do this if I was
willing to
drill holes and run wire, which I've done plenty of times
before.  But
I'm trying to make this as easy as possible.  I've never used a
wireless
range extender, but maybe I'll just buy one and try it out.

Running wires and trying to cover a large area with or without
range extenders are two entirely different things.  The latter
takes much more expertise to do properly.

When I said "general public", I should have said
"congregation".  This
is for members of the church.  That could be several hundred
people.
The guest account would be password protected, but I have
realistic
expectations of how secret that password will be.  In any case,
the
church is in a semi-rural area and is surrounded by empty land
on all
sides, so there is no general public except for the people in
the church.

It doesn't matter how rural your church is.  As soon as the
password gets out (and it will, as you understand), your hot spot
will be subject to abuse.

There are people who look for unlisted hotspots and post them on
hacker sites.  Small businesses (Mom and Pop) and churches are
favorite targets because they often have not spent the money
necessary to have someone knowledgeable properly secure their
system.

My worst case scenario is probably some kind of event at the
church
where 100 people with smart phones all want to check their
email.  Most
of the time it'll just be 3 office computers being used for
church business.

-Rob

That is nowhere near your "worst case scenario".

Jerry

I would like to *EMPHATICALLY* agree!

You have a problem requiring expertise in at least three diverse disciplines:
  1. physically installing the system
2. designing the system to operate as required under nominal conditions
      CRITICAL subtask: just what is specified goal?
  3. securing system against:
     a. accidentally being compromised
     b. malicious attacks
To understand how being "rural" is *NO* protection, insert respective
        antenna elevations into sites such as
        http://www.calculatoredge.com/electronics/lineofsight.htm

At a minimum, Google "securing Debian".